Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Dare to be Different



I know Sarawakians look different in a way,
I mean compared to West Malaysians.
People can actually differentiate Sarawakians easily when we are among West Malaysians.

But, don't I even look like one?


The most common question that hit me after I entered UTP is :

"Are you from Thailand?"


Then the rest come like :

"Are you from overseas?"
"Do you speak Tagalog?"
"Which part of Thailand are you from?"
"When are you going back to Thailand?"
didn't even bother to ask me whether I'm from Thailand 1st
"So, are you from Myanmar or Thailand?"
~the list goes on~

My answer:
"Er..I'm from Sarawak..You are from??"


PART 1
A few times I was hit by the questions:
"Are you really Chinese?"
"Are you Malay?"

My part 1 answer:
"Okay..I'm mix. Chinese and Bidayuh..."


PART 2
Then they ask,
"What is Bidayuh?"

My part 2 answer:
"Bidayuh is a tribe in Sarawak...bla,bla,bla"
~starting to explain bout the multi racial in Sarawak~



Some Chinese even speak Malay to me,
without realizing I can speak Chinese.

When I reply in Chinese,
then you can see their face expressions change.

(I remembered those moments well, especially when I go shopping)


Despite all the questions that hit me unexpectedly,
I am proud to be different,
and of cause I won't wanna do plastic surgery to make me look~
more like a Chinese or Bidayuh..
It's the mixture of both that makes me look different.
We are living in a multi racial country.
Love and respect other races just like how you respect your own.


Peace! :)

No comments: